Monday, August 17

BEGINNINGS


The title for this blog may be a little misleading. For you see, I am far from a domestic diva. To some the art of cooking, cleaning, sewing, and gardening comes very easily and naturally. Yet this is definitely NOT the case for me. However, I will take you through my steps as I not just attempt, but become the next Martha...


Now the internet is helpful for lots of things. Whenever I have a question, I just type it in and..lo, and behold, the answer is there. Granted it may come from an illiterate, and egotistical person who in an answer to a question writes "it must see sumthin" as an appropriate response. Those type of community forums always make me laugh, as who in their right mind, would actually agree with the opinion of someone who can't even spell "something". However, every now and then, you may stumble upon great advice. I found a lovely little guide on how to become a domestic diva. This article states that step number one should be creating a motto for your diva style. If coming up with a motto is anything like coming up with a title for a paper..I think I am in trouble.


So until I come up with some great motto, I am beginning my domestic diva career with a classic cooking lesson. This may be a mistake since supposedly this motto is my direction and drive in life. I don't know about direction...I just know, I don't want to burn down the house, or cut my finger off...both very likely possibilities. However, I began last night by making my first chicken stock. I always thought that chicken stock was just something that you bought in a container from the store. Little did I know that it was actually made from water simmered with bones and aromatics. See, already I am using fancy words, words like "aromatics"...which really means food like onions, carrots, celery, herbs, etc. which flavor the water. And yet, already, I have made my first mistake. I actually ended up making broth instead of stock. Who knew the two were so similar. Who knew that not having those disgusting, random chicken parts would be to my disadvantage. However, I still feel that I should be able to create a wonderful roast chicken, gravy, and stuffing which is the plan for tonight. I am slightly nervous, as cooking, which now does not include easy mac or frozen dinners, means working with slimy, bloody chicken...still in the shape of a chicken. I am hoping I will quickly overcome the disgust I currently feel for raw meat.


4 comments:

  1. Hi! I clicked on the link from fb to your blog. I have made chicken broth/stock from cooked chicken too. Didn't know there was a difference so maybe you can teach me! I am not a domestic 'diva' per se, but I can assure that not too long ago I was very insecure in the kitchen and can't believe how much more at ease and even fun I can find it from time to time! Practice does make a difference! Best wishes from another 'older' amateur domestic

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable Jennifer. It's kinda similar to Julie and Julia. Just be glad you are not in another country where you have to de-feather the chicken! Almost had to do that in India a couple of years ago...almost!

    Amanda Johnston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another helpful tip for the future...when cutting up a whole chicken, prior to cooking it, if you look closer at it you'll be able to see "lines" on the chicken, at different joints, if you cut on those lines you'll have tons of success in piecing out a chicken. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stephi! I will have to try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete