Tuesday, September 1

8:15

A seemingly late time for dinner...but my record thus far. I was beyond excited when it was done and on the table and I realized my record timing.
So recap of my dinner last night:

1. Pork Tenderloin - I much appreciated the fact that it was already deboned. Quite a relief after the last two dinners I have made. Half my time seemed to be spent conquering the slippery skin as I hacked away. Last night..a breeze.

2. My pancetta...or really bacon that I used. I heard, through my studies, that you can blanch the bacon (boil, simmer, then cold water) to remove the smoky flavor which is the main difference between the bacon we know and love and the Italian kind. So I did that...which didn't mess up the overall results of my meal, but I am still unsure if it really made a difference.

3. Actual barding of the loin. This was an interesting process as I forgot to buy kitchen twine while I was at the grocery store. Therefore, I made use of those silcone ties I mentioned before to fasten the bacon to the pork, but it was much trickier than just simply lifting the twine around it. This seriously tested my coordination...and twine is definitely still on my list to purchase soon!

4. Then it was off into the oven and on to the vegetables. I have decided my Christmas present I want most of all (in case any one is interested) ..KNIVES!! Apparently you only really need 3 but after watching a video of someone chopping herbs, I was sold on the importance of a sharp and good knife. In my opinion, this is the most important item in your kitchen. For you artists out there...it's the difference between a good brush and a cheap one. It completely changes your "work of art" and the ease at which you execute it.

5. Eggplant - First time for buying one of these..and cutting it. It has a very distinct flavor..and the jury is still out on whether I really like it or not. But this was one of the veggies in my roasted vegetable tian. This was relatively easy to make. Only downside..kind of a lengthy cooking time. This is what I have realized about roasting anything...be prepared to wait. However, the results, worth the wait!

6. So finally, my tenderloin was ready to come out. And the big fear with cooking this meat is that it can be extremely dry. I followed my cookbook's recommendation for temp. (138 degrees), but I think that that is a little too low for my taste. It wasn't quite cooked well enough, so after a few more minutes in the over. Wahlah...
And FINALLY it is complete! Granted..you may want to remove the ties and bacon and sprig of rosemary...but you get the picture.

1 comment:

  1. A helpful hint, on de-skinning, such as taking the skin off of chicken, is to grab the skin with a dry paper towel & hold the chicken itself with another & then pull the two apart. Rinse after de-skinning.

    ReplyDelete