Friday, September 4

SOMETHING ABOUT FRIDAYS

So I think my mind is just other places on Fridays. But hopefully inspiration will strike me as I write.

So all this domestic blogging has made me think a lot about the role of women in general. We live in a society filled with a wide spectrum of views on this...from full force feminists to traditionalists to those who still view women as inferior. Finding balance can sometimes be a difficult thing to achieve. That is why I like Martha Stewart so much. She blends traditional with modern...all with a touch of humanity. She has those skills you would expect of a housewife, yet at the same time, runs her own empire, and also makes mistakes. Needless to say, it is an interesting combination...

But Martha Stewart is not reality to me. I have never met her, don't run into people like her in my day to day life, might as well be a figment of my imagination. What I tend to notice (well by oversimplifying) is the women around me fit into two main roles:
1. Those that are career driven and very successful in their ventures
2. And those that either teach, stay at home with children, or a combination of the two

The problem is, for me, I never really seemed to fit with either. And maybe it is obvious to an onlooker to somehow merge the two, but for the black and white, extreme type person I am...merging just doesn't come to mind. I want to be 100% in, and all about one or the other.

Somehow, I want to be a "Martha Stewart", a blend of both worlds. I laugh because a short time ago, it used to be a joke that I wanted to become the next Martha Stewart. Yet now, there is actually a sort of seriousness in the suggestion. Not that my plan is to create my own empire, but that what I once saw as polar opposite desires can actually be combined together in a tangible way. This realization fits perfectly with the new direction that I am headed towards. Not at all what I saw myself doing 3 months ago, but something that will satisfy both my business and motherly desires. I am excited as it seems that in more ways than one, the things that I never saw fitting together are combining together perfectly. It is definitely something I could never orchestrate...

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this blog is your last sentence because it shows that you know who is the orchestrator is and give Him the glory. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just came back and looked at my comment. I was trying to write it while a friend was talking in my ear. Now I know that my grammar is much worse when I'm not fully concentrated on what I am writing, haha. Well, at least you got the point, I hope! :)

    ReplyDelete