Monday, August 24

NO MORE PLANS

So this weekend did not go according to plan. Maybe I should just stop planning in general. It seems that my plans never work out anyways. However, I can't say that this weekend was a total failure when it came to my domestic projects. It just means I didn't start any of the ones I planned. However, I did have a couple of cooking experiences...

The first of which, I think I will forever be frustrated. Cookies. There are WAY too many recipes out there. All with just slightly different amounts of flour, butter, and sugar. How am I to know the best one?? Well I tried a new oatmeal raisin recipe because it is my dad's favorite, and it was his birthday this Friday. However, I wasn't completely pleased with the results of this new recipe that I tried. Maybe its for the fact that I could quite possibly be a cookie snob. They aren't my favorite dessert or baked good..so I might in fact have higher expectations in order to enjoy them. But I was not at all impressed with the recipe I chose. They had slightly too much oatmeal, were too crumbly, and just not that great. (Although the uncooked batter was amazing..I don't know what happened when I cooked them) So maybe one of my greatest quests as I become a domestic diva should be to find the perfect cookie recipes...even if I have to make up my own. So this is what they looked like..along with the card and stuff I made for my dad.



Seriously, this picture makes them look like a blob. I need a professional photographer to take my pictures to convince you that they were in fact edible. I promise they were!

The second venture was to make my first ever omelet. I know..what I have been doing all these years?! ...actually I just have been making scrambled eggs. I have never made any other type of egg but scrambled. I think in some ways I am a creature of habit. So I decided to try something new...and hope for the best. Omelets can be a bit of a challenge. At least for cooks like me...There is lots of moving the pan and folding and such...all in less than two minutes. I think its the time that stresses me out. It is make it or break it. And it all happens so quickly! However, I am pleased to say that it actually turned out. The second better than the first, but both were edible, which honestly surprised me. I am excited now that I can branch out from my scrambled eggs if I so wish..

So that's pretty much all the weekend consisted of...domestication wise. But tonight I am cooking my second big meal. I am continuing on with roasting...learning more and more what to do and why. And tonight's meal consists of getting to use a mallet (getting out aggression yay!), butterflying a turkey, more bloody nasty meat, redoing stuffing (that was really the only thing I wasn't happy with last time), and then I get to learn all about brining the turkey...something I had no idea of before. I have a feeling tomorrows post will be full of things I have learned. AND hopefully not another night of a busted kitchen sink. Uneventful is my hope...

1 comment:

  1. aw, that's too bad that you didn't get to work on your surprises.

    As for the cookies. I can't say that I know many people who make cookies from scratch. Just about everyone buys the premixed cookies that you plop on a cookie sheet and bake. And I must say that they are usually amazing!

    Oh, and you need to plan to take a night off from your domestic exploits so that we can make a trip to Jackson, TN!

    ReplyDelete