Wednesday, October 28

SALAD AND DESSERT

So here I was, so determined to write a blog each day this week. Unfortunately, my schedule has pretty much eliminated that possibility. So to do a little backtracking... Just pretend this is Tuesday. Granted, that is the last thing I want to do during the work week...back track. But bear with me..

So one of the other things that I made on Friday was my first vinaigrette. Sometimes I think that the more challenging, the better. But ultimately, my aim is to not make the most complicated meals, but simply to understand how to make anything starting with the most basic ingredients and building from there. This means that I make a lot of my meals from scratch. It isn't for the bragging rights of cooking from scratch, but rather, I want to be given basic ingredients (flour, sugar, oil, eggs, and salt) and be able to create countless things. I don't want to depend on the convenience of store-bought items, when who knows what will be available, especially as I am leaving the comfort of the United States and my dear Super Targets. Cooking and grocery shopping will be taking on a new meaning.

So my salad dressing took only 4 ingredients (oil, dijon mustard, vinegar, and salt/pepper) and I made it in only 5 minutes. Talk about painless! I can't wait to expand from the simple one I made and try other variations of it.

Last for this particular meal was my fruit crisp. It was made with apples and cranberries. It made a really large pan but considering how much I love any sort of fruit dessert, I figured it was worth it to make it all and not half the recipe. And now, several days later, I am not regretting my decision in the least. Even though it is dessert, I would definitely eat it any time of day...breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, etc. (Pictures to come...sorry forgot my camera today)

No comments:

Post a Comment