Monday, October 19

TALENT TAKES TIME

This is something that I have to remind myself every day. I want to think that because I have now cooked 5 or so meals, that I should be an expert at some culinary technique, not at everything, but at least at something. Certainly I could just mince garlic like a pro. Yet sadly, even that still needs improvement. What is evident, not just with cooking, but with anything, is that it takes time to become good at something. Except for those exceptions. Gotta watch out for those people that just seem to have a knack for some skill. But for the most part, us "jack of all trades" need time and practice to become great. This weekend, I got to go to a Memphis Star Search talent competition for a friend's birthday. It was very entertaining and some of the talent blew me away. They were only 17 or 18 and the way they played the piano, harmonica, or sang was amazing. Granted, I realize natural talent is involved, but you know that it has still taken hours of practice to get to a level worthy of competing. (Side note: I was excited that Jakeem Sprinkle, my vote, won people's choice! He is going to be the next Usher..sigh) But this is something I notice everywhere I look. At work, I am amazed at what an architect knows about detailing custom millwork. Then I remember, he has been doing this for thirty years. It took time. I came across a jewelry designer setting up her collection in a store the other day, but it took her ten years to get to where she is. I think about all those amazing cooks that make gourmet, amazing dishes and can seem to tackle any culinary endeavor. That took time. What I need, is not initial excitement or motivation, but endurance. The ability to continue "practicing" my domestic skills until I get to the point where I can do something exceptionally well. That just may take a lifetime on the domestic front...I can see it now. I will be 80, bent over, can barely see, but will jump up and down, possibly break a hip...for finally..finally I learned how to mince garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment