Thursday, October 15

YOU SAY POTATOES...I SAY...

What in the world do you do when you end up having 8 pounds of potatoes in your possession? My solution: Make mashed potatoes! ...and every other recipe that has to do with potatoes.

I am actually sitting here typing, eating some of my mashed potatoes I made this afternoon. I think I am going to have potatoes coming out of my ears by the time I finish all them. That phrase always makes me think of my childhood doctor visits. My pediatrician had a habit of telling me, while looking in my ears, that I had potatoes growing in there. I believed him. Sad to say my gullibility has not changed too much since then. Granted, I can look at that particular incident now with a little perspective and realize he was probably talking about needing to clean my ears and not actual potatoes growing in my head, but at the time...I was just a little unnerved.

So I made three things today...garlic rosemary mashed potatoes and gnocchi with basil pesto. (Yes, basil pesto counts as the third thing. I am giving myself all the credit I can for cooking 3 hours today!) But I am starting to think my chicken piccata started a bad chain reaction: cooking Italian food...and more Italian food...and even more Italian food. I have a feeling that is all I am going to make for a while. I think...since I really should have the complete experience and education, I should take a quick, little trip to Italy. Study the cuisine. Maybe take some lessons there. If only..

Anyways here is a photo of my gnocchi. I am really excited as you can tell by the photo that I successfully made something that I can't even pronounce. I looked up the pronunciation but I keep forgetting...Another reason to head to Italy...get the real, genuine pronunciation.



I didn't photograph the mashed potatoes because they were rather bland looking, but really, really good. I have never been a huge fan of mashed potatoes, but those babies won me over.

However, here is the final complete product of my gnocchi.


1 comment: