Wednesday, December 16

ANSWERS AND EASY MAC

I found my latest want. It is a book about baking science. It brings back fond memories of chemistry freshman year. Ok, maybe not fond memories, but definitely memories. It may be a little more intense than I am wanting, but it finally answered one of the questions I wondered a while back...what is the difference between dark and light brown sugar? Apparently, the difference is that dark brown sugar is made with molasses. However, in North America, the amount is so small that it really makes no difference. So thankfully, next time I see a recipe that specifies light or dark, I can rest assured that it doesn't matter what type I have on hand. I also tried to answer the question about flour, but apparently, instead of just two types of flour, there are apparently 50. And with this one, I think I am now more confused than less...

Now the only problem with getting this into cooking (down to the science of it), is at no point do I want to become a food snob. Not just with what I make, but especially with what others make. I enjoy most food, and if I start understanding the minute things that set apart cookies...will I still enjoy my grandma's tried and true recipe? Now part of me would love to take a sip of soup and be able to name every ingredient and amount..not from memory, but from taste. However, along with that skill, I think comes a curse. If I refine my palate, will I still be ok with eating easy mac for lunch? I mean the thought of having to fix gourmet lunches all the time is not worth it. I like my quick fix meals. I like prepackaged food. I even like tv dinners. I don't want to give up my poor taste. So I am at a loss for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment