Monday, January 4

REGULARS


I will admit to being known at several Starbucks in the Memphis area as a "regular". That is the first step to recovering from an addiction, right? I always thought I knew the definition of a regular, but only recently have I realized that I only got the first half of it correct. A regular is someone who frequents the same establishment on a regular basis to the point where almost all employees recognize said person upon entering. You know you have earned this title when those employees make your drink or food item without you even having to order it. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. Although, I don't know if I should brag about that... Anyways, the part that I forgot to include is that those same employees also assume that because you go to the same place everyday that you also want the same item everyday. This can create rather awkward moments. Well, at least it did for me today. My co-worker and I go to the same Starbucks by our work frequently. Not everyday, but often enough that they know us. Well, today I go and order a tall awake tea. After the guy makes it, another worker asks if they are all out of earl grey tea. As I was walking away, I heard her surprisingly ask, "Did she not want earl grey tea??" Ok, so in her defense, 90% of the time I will order earl grey there. But I think I am garnering the reputation as a consistent sort of customer...when in reality that only refers to my presence. I don't mean to throw them off or crush their pride in "knowing" me well enough. Yet the confused and shocked looks almost make me want to order the same thing each time. I am beginning to wish I wasn't a such a regular after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment