Thursday, January 6

NOT A COOKING BLOG

Figured I should preface with that considering my first few sentences...

I have been learning a lot about hair lately. All of which has been unintentional. I know I typically write about my cooking adventures, but I must talk out (or in this case, write out) my thoughts about non-shampooing. I'll explain in a minute what exactly that means.

Motivation #1:
A few days ago, I learned about the 6.4 billion dollars we, as Americans, spend on hair care products. I learned about all the intensive studies and NASA technology that Pantene uses to create its products, not to mention tons of chemicals. (Ahem, cancer) And for me personally, by the time I finish a bottle, my hair always has build up from the ingredients in the shampoo. I end up walking around with my hair greased to my scalp and with a frizzy bush at the end. I, for one, do not enjoy having to pick out a new shampoo every time I run out.

Motivation #2:
Then, today, I stumbled across an article which was quite the opposite to that type of product and the American lifestyle. This article is what started my curiosity. You see, I always like a challenge. But the more I thought about it...the more I actually started considering trying it. Non-shampooing that is..

Ok, ok. Here's a definition. It is not quite as gross as it sounds.

Non-shampooing:
The act of washing one's hair with a baking soda mix and apple cider vinegar rinse instead of the traditional shampoos one can purchase.

But...

Objection #1:
When I read that it was a guy who did this study. One that liked punk rock...an instant red flag went up. Ew. Guys standards are way different than us girls. But after some searching I found out lots of different people have tried this, not just one guy.

Objection #2:
My hair will most likely get worse before it gets better. I just don't know if I could handle the transition phase of this whole switch. I feel like I would need to hiberate for a month or so as not to scare people. I might not just be a freak for trying this, but look like one too!

Decisions, decisions...

3 comments:

  1. So, what did you decide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't attempted it yet, but I haven't ruled it out. Trying to muster up the courage...if that will ever happen!

    ReplyDelete