Monday, January 3

SCIENCE


This post is a fair warning. If you hate science, you might just want to look the other way. The nerd that I am (and ex-nursing student) I really do enjoy science. Anatomy, chemistry, dissecting a frog...well, maybe not that last one. And not to worry...that is not where I am going next with my cooking. On the contrary, think pastries that melt in your mouth, laced with sweetness but not overpowering, smooth, creamy chocolate, perfectly whipped cream, truffles and tarts, and the most amazing cake ever created. Ok, ok...so back to my point. I finally got the Science of Baking (from my sweet boyfriend) which is a cookbook that goes into the chemistry involved with baking. (and yes, if there are any of your devout blog followers out there, I blogged about it before, twice to be exact) I was right when I first thought that all baking recipes were the same. The seemingly small and insignificant differences are actually very important. The order of mixing and slight differences in ingredients can distinguish a sunken, soggy cake from a moist, airy one. I hope to share with you the interesting parts of what I learn. And more than that, I hope I understand "the why" by the end and can stop holding my breath every time I stick something in the oven. A diva's gotta hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment