Monday, November 16

BACON AND BISCOTTI


I feel as though I have reached a new level in cooking. Maybe all this hard work is paying off. Maybe, just maybe, I am becoming a good cook. It is too early to tell at this point, especially with my roasted red pepper spice incident last week. I mean, how was I supposed to know that that's extremely spicy?? Yet this weekend was the first time that my creations were snatched just as they came out of the oven. I have never experienced such a desperately hungry audience, snatching at the crumbs while I cut. Yet, I consider this a good sign. A sign that, hopefully, I have hope as a domestic diva.

Yet I have a feeling that just as I get good and comfortable in my kitchen, I will be shipping off to another country and using appliances that are far from accurate. Those should produce some amusing stories. One of the specialties in Cambodia is dog. Although, I will probably not be cooking dog, I am sure I will have the opportunity to eat it. I love my pet dog here at home so much (probably too much). So I'm not quite sure how I feel about that at this point. Although, considering eating chicken intestines in the Philippines was no big deal, I imagine I will try it. Dog and fried tarantulas. Man, that doesn't make me sound very ladylike. But my hope while I am there is to learn how to cook like they do. I don't want to just hire someone to do it for me, but I want them to teach me how to do it. I want to be able to walk into the meat market with ease. I don't know if you recall my post about the meat section in Kroger, but I have a little ways to go before I get to the point of handling meat markets. Thankfully, I have been to a meat market before, so I know a little bit of what to expect.

But seriously, this biscotti has been disappearing right before my eyes. The only difference with mine was that I substituted lemon for orange. It was so simple to make, and now a necessary accompaniment to my countless cups of tea. Probably my biggest hit so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment