Friday, July 2

THE GROCERY

So I finally made it the grocery store today. I don't get the privilege...yes, I said privilege very often. Grocery shopping just happens to be one of my favorite errands. The results are edible..come on. Anyways, I had my super long list (it is supposed to last me the WHOLE week) of the few recipes I've chosen to make at home. I tried to find recipes that were different but had similar ingredients and I was off...

I think my shopping habits are now peculiar. 80% of my shopping is done in the produce section. I started freaking out that I was spending too much and then as I was leaving that area I realize I only have a couple items left to buy. They weren't kidding when they said you should shop the perimeter of the store if you want to eat healthy. That is exactly what I did except for the baking aisle, pasta, and canned veggies. I had so many plastic bags of produce piled high in my basket I am pretty sure I looked like a freak. I am still a little self conscious about grabbing whole wheat flour instead of the normal stuff and darting past the cookie aisle. When I didn't have a bag of cheezits in my cart like every other shopper, I started to question my humanity. Normal people eat healthy too, right?

Anyways, I managed to keep my groceries around $50. I certainly wouldn't impress those "coupon moms" out there. But I was proud because I thought it was going to be way worse. I am sure I will get more saavy as I go.

Now that I got the goods, I decided to make home made muesli today. It's something I have been craving since I got back from Cambodia. All the little cafes there would sell it and considering it was cold, filling, and not dangerous like salad...I became obsessed. However, I am realizing making it yourself is NOT cheaper than just buying it pre-made. When did nuts become so expensive? The nuts themselves are the price of the pre-made muesli. Lame.

Anyways, here's my new muesli...and here's the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment